Contact Bob Sherwood at 607-765-3942

Waddington, New York

The photos on this page, unless otherwise noted, were generously provided by and used with permission of Rick Rutkowski.

Early Waddington with custom house, dairy, and railroad station.
Later picture with dairy with newer smokestack, water tower, and railroad station.
Welcome sign in present day Waddington, New York.

About Waddington, New York

Waddington, New York, is of interest to divers because part of the village’s original industrial area was flooded during the construction of the St. Lawrence Seaway.

The text below is copied from the Wikipedia article.

Waddington is a village located in the Town of Waddington in St. Lawrence County, New York. The population was 972 at the 2010 census. The village is named after Joshua Waddington.

The Village of Waddington is at the northern edge of the town and is north of Canton.

The first settlers arrived around 1798.

The village was originally called “Hamilton” (after Alexander Hamilton), but was changed to Waddington in 1818. Joshua Waddington was a friend of Hamilton and one of the original landowners. The village was incorporated in 1839. When the Town of Waddington was formed afterwards, it adopted the name of the village.

During the construction of the St. Lawrence Seaway part of the village needed to be relocated and some of the old industrial area was destroyed.

The Waddington Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992.

Reference photos by Rick Rutkowski

Two left buoys mark the dairy foundation. The right one marks old Rt 37.
Three middle buoys mark dairy foundation. The left one marks station foundation (off to the left).
Station foundation is left of buoy.
Buoy marks old Rt. 37.
Old Rt 37 runs from behind barge to the right.
Dairy site.
Size of milling wheel.
Diver heading out to station site.
Seagulls on dairy foundation.
Dairy foundation later in season.
East side Clarks Point. First pulp dock might be middle right.
Railroad station moved before river flooding.
Second move of the station. Today it’s a hardware store and is located along Rt 37, east of Waddington.

Sketch of site by Rick Rutkowski

Looking over station and site of custom house, looking down on.
Looking at cribbing from Rt 37 head wall to custom house location.
Rt 37 head wall looking down on.
West side head wall Rt 37 and large tub.
Looking at cribbing from Rt 37 head wall to custom house location.
Looking down on custom house and railroad station, 12 milling wheels holding bank of pre-seaway river protecting(?) dairy.
Looking down on cribbing from bridge towards custom house.